Friday, March 16, 2012

"You're Coming With Me Lad" by Mike Pannett




This is the second book in the series by ex-Metropolitan Police officer Mike Pannett, writing about his time in the police in North Yorkshire. The first book was called "Now Then, Lad" and I reviewed it here.

"You're Coming With Me Lad" follows on directly from where Now Then Lad left off. In fact, had the two books been published as one volume the join would have been seamless. There was something comfortingly familiar about opening this book for the first time, I knew exactly what to expect in terms of characters and style, but I was still eager to read on and follow the latest escapades. Events are never dull, including an encounter with a sword, record breaking floods, wildlife, a runaway caravan, an unexploded WW2 bomb, and even more dangerous than that, a visit by John Prescott.

As I said in the first review, the beauty of the author's writing style is that the balance of content is perfect. Easy enough to follow without police experience, but at a level where past and present officers would enjoy it as well. There's even an ongoing romance through the series which is fondly told without ever becoming soppy or too sugary.

North Yorkshire is full of wonderful countryside and again the book does a great job of describing the scenery so that you really can picture the views and environment. Similarly, the author does a great job of bringing the characters to life. Most of them now have their own voices when I read their dialogue, I even have a mental picture of Alexander Armstrong playing the part of Algy!

Mike obviously tells the stories from his own point of view, but unusually in my opinion, will also try to see things from the viewpoint of the other characters, most notably the "customers" he deals with when on duty. It'd be easy to come across as very condescending, telling these events from a police officer's point of view, but that never happens.

In short, this book has more than lived up to the expectation created by the original edition, and I can convey no greater praise on the book and the author, than to tell you that I have already ordered the third book in the series, "Not On My Patch, Lad" which I intend to review here when I've completed it.

A wonderful, uplifting and absorbing read. Very much recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment